Movies That Matter

So me being the movie man that I am have decided to do more of an opinion piece rather than a review today. So for today is something I have been thinking about for a while now. MOVIES THAT MATTER.  I will take 3 or my favorite genres and give you 3 movies per area that you should see at least once and why they matter. Also they are some of my all-time favorites

SCI-FI
·         Blade Runner- I pick this as my number one science fiction movie for a few reasons. One, with this movie it gave way to large scale visual effects. Two, Ridley Scott took the existing source material and translated it into something that everyone could enjoy.  Three, this movie helped pave the way for the cyberpunk genre and made more people aware of it.
·         Pandorum- This one was a lesser known sci-fi flick that came out a few years ago but damn was it creepy and kept you guessing until the very end.  This one should be seen at least once and then it will make you think about your own sanity.  Dennis Quaid was amazing in this movie and it kept up the pace and tone until the very end. Check it out.
·         Dune (1984) - So this one might be a little of a tough sell to some of you. Think of it more as a Game of Thrones in space.  You have warring families all fighting over the same thing.  You have giant freaking worms that make the monsters from Tremors look like earthworms.  Frank Herbert created a whole universe and it spans generations. Check this movie out.  Not just that but the cast is phenomenal and it really pulls you in.

ACTION
·         Lethal Weapon- This is one of my all-time favorite action movies, not just that but it is a classic buddy cop movie.  Danny Glover and Mel Gibson are perfect in their roles and they play off each other like real friends.  This movie has it all, explosions, nudity, language and action.  This is one movie I love watching with my dad because; if we were cops it would be just like this.
·         Mad Max- So, another Mel Gibson movie, what can I say, the man has some serious acting chops.  This one is more a post-apocalyptic action flick, but it is some good that I own the whole set of movies and whenever it is on TV, I stop what I’m doing just to watch it.  It helped pave the way for some of my favorite games as well in small subtle ways. (Fallout) in case you were wondering.
·         Raiders of the Lost Ark- Yes, you are sensing a theme here, as a married man, I have a small man crush on both Harrison Ford and Mel Gibson.  This is another movie that I drop everything I am working on or doing just to watch.  My dad and I would marathon all three of the Indiana Jones movies just because they are that amazing to watch.  For those wondering, the fourth one isn’t bad but I don’t consider it part of the original trilogy, just like Star Wars has two sets of trilogy. This movie just leaves me wanting to become an adventurer and travel the world and find rare artifacts and be a badass just like Mr. Jones.
Comedy
·         Blazing Saddles- This movie has all the best quirks and lines to make you remember this movie for a long time. Mel Brooks took the classic western movie and butchered it in his own unique way and made something funny for everyone. Gene Wilder costars in this raunchy comedy where nothing is sacred and nothing is off limits.  They don’t care who they offend because that is the point.  I love this movie for so many reasons.
·         Robin Hood: Men in Tights- So, another Mel Brooks movie, he is a comedic genius, this one takes the classic Robin Hood  mythos and twists and perverts it in so many ways.  This movie is just so damn funny that the cast makes it work. Cary Elwes, Dave Chappelle in his film debut, and even Sir Patrick Stewart. They pull this movie together like no one’s business and make it funny for so many more reasons.
·         The Princess Bride- Another Cary Elwes movie, but this one is more of a romantic comedy but still loads of fun. This movie has so many redeeming qualities that make it fun for the whole family.  From Andre the Giant, Cary Elwes, and Mandy Patinkin, this movie will have you in stiches and make you cry from joy and make you feel good in the long run.

So now for the Honorable mentions
·         Any James Bond movie
·         Jurassic Park series
·         Any Superman film
·         Any Batman film
·         Multiple Mel Brooks movies
·         Dawn of the Dead because I love zombies.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Big 4

The Lives of Tao by Wesley Chu